ELECTRIC SIGN SUPPLIES
If You're Looking For Premium Electric Sign Industry Components From Trim Cap, LED's, Neon Supplies, Power Supplies, Pattern Paper.  Then Please Visit Our Online Store or Feel Free To Call Us For Inquiries or Placing an Order!!
Buy Now

SIGN INSTALLER MAP
Looking for a fellow Sign Syndicate Company Member For A Sign Install or Maintenance Call?
Click Here

For Sign Company's Who Work As Subcontractors
Before You Work For A National Sign & Service Company You Need To Look At The Reviews Of These Companies Before You Work For Them. Learn When To Expect Payment From Them and What It's Like To Work For Them, The Good, The Bad, The Ugly. Learn and Share Your Experiences Yourself For Others

Click Here

What do you think of this overhang

• Board Patron

What do you think of this overhang from the back axle, be honest.

post-2899-12672057485.jpg

• Like 1

63 foot Elliott v60

50 foot 8 ton crane/auger

Skid steer with forks and dirt bucket

www.signworksinc.com

www.wehangsigns.com

Signworks Inc.
Toronto, Canada
416-653-7227
1-877-912-7446

• !llumenati

Hmmm, I'm not an engineer ---- but damn, work over the back, put the outriggers down, and you could use the hitch as a third outrigger when it touches the ground???????

• Board Patron

75 feet

63 foot Elliott v60

www.signworksinc.com

www.wehangsigns.com

Signworks Inc.
Toronto, Canada
416-653-7227
1-877-912-7446

Guest Signtiffic

This doesn't look all that sound. Didn't you mentioned somewhere else that you couldn't get a tag or an inspection for the truck?

I've operated a lot of equipment and with 75' of stick I don't think theres much "might" or "maybe" in the potential for Teeter Totter.... With a single axel like this it seems like you couldn't even load up the deck or pull a trailer with you load. Service only?

• Like 1

• Board Patron

Skylift won't even answer what the truck ratings will be with all the changes, they say they are able to change the ratings. Not sure if it's legal, but i'll find out when I get to the MTO(DMV). I am going to get it tested from the guys that maintain my other crane and buckets, they won't pass something unless it is up to standards. I don't think these guys have enough experience to build these trucks. Next time I am going Elliot, worth the extra money for sure.

63 foot Elliott v60

www.signworksinc.com

www.wehangsigns.com

Signworks Inc.
Toronto, Canada
416-653-7227
1-877-912-7446

• !llumenati

Fist question....What type of truck, cab over of conventional. Your rear wheel to the end of the truck looks like about 10 ft. There will be alot of wieght back there. Was the chassis rails re-enforced, are there rear springs or air bags,can they carry the wieght. It appears that the front end of the truck will be hoping off the ground as you drive. All manufactures must comply with safety tests, which are loading the crane with wieghts at different angles. As far as the engineering of this truck, I dont like the overhang. When you make turns this is going to swing out wide, very wide. Before you take delivery, call a few real manufacturers like Manitex, Elliot and ask them.

• Board Patron

Built by Skylift on a low pro F650 conventional truck. 9 feet from centre axle to end, no re-informent on chassis, 3 extra springs front and back, they are doing a stability test on Monday. Our elliot dealer has it now. I haven't accepted it yet, that is why they are trying "to fix it", not much info getting to me, Sam Marcum doesn't answer the phone, he engineer just says they are working on making me happy, as if these changes are my requests or something. They built it wrong and keep patching and patching it up, cut hear add there, take this off, put this on and so on and so on. I'm using a nice L60 mounted on a heavier F650, works like a dream.

63 foot Elliott v60

www.signworksinc.com

www.wehangsigns.com

Signworks Inc.
Toronto, Canada
416-653-7227
1-877-912-7446

Sounds like you already solved the problem. I dare you to find a better truck than an Elliott. Hope they are smart enough to return any deposits, etc they may be holding of yours. Good luck man.

• Like 1

Hey Rocco:

They are obviously grabbing at straws with this fix. I hope you can get it sorted out. A different truck maybe?? I am really interested in what MTO has to say about it but I would be just as concerned or more concerned about Ministry of Labour. This certainly gives Elliot a leg upo in our search for a new unit. If you can't get it sorted out before the show in Florida you should take it down and put it on display as what not to do.

Larry

• Board Patron

Florida, now thats a good idea. Maybe Elliot will pay for my trip

63 foot Elliott v60

www.signworksinc.com

www.wehangsigns.com

Signworks Inc.
Toronto, Canada
416-653-7227
1-877-912-7446

• Board Patron

May not be as bad as you think. Our 85' crane hangs over 8' past the axle and our 73' bucket truck hangs over 10' past the axle and it was built by Altec and I am sure they know what they are doing.

You just have to watch the swing when you turn.

Installation & Maintenance Services

Brian Phillips | expresssignandneon@sbcglobal.net | P. 812-882-3278

Express Sign & Neon | 119 S. 15th Street - Vincennes - IN 47591

express%20neon%20sig.jpg

• Board Patron

well what do you think downtown rush hour and in busy plazas?

63 foot Elliott v60

www.signworksinc.com

www.wehangsigns.com

Signworks Inc.
Toronto, Canada
416-653-7227
1-877-912-7446

• Board Patron

got a rental, they are working on it.

63 foot Elliott v60

www.signworksinc.com

www.wehangsigns.com

Signworks Inc.
Toronto, Canada
416-653-7227
1-877-912-7446

I'm not sure I get what the ruckus is about. The gap from the turntable to the rear of the truck? The load rating of the truck after the crane is installed? We have assembled several trucks on our own at our shop. I can't speak for Skylift, but on a Skyhook tube crane, the center of gravity was about 3' in front of the turret. That looks like about what Skylift did. For road travel, that places most of the burden on the rear axle which is what you want. The big danger in rear-mount cranes is over loading the *front* axle, ironically. You still have the turret in front of the rear outriggers & in order for the 'trailer hitch to be the fifth outrigger' you would need to pull over the weight of the entire vehicle. I'm dubious. Go look at a rear-mount National or Manitowok. They have the main riggers even with the turret & one tiny rear rigger just 3 feet away. They *are* planning on the weight of the truck being enough to resist the moment of the load. My biggest concern is GVW. When you start with a 650 series truck, have a good bed, hydraulic outriggers and a 75' stick, you won't have any load rating left for payload. Lo Pro is a cool idea, but I think this scheme would have worked out better at a 50 or 60 foot crane rather than a 75....

We have an original SkyWalk with about 13' of tail swing. It's a pain, but you learn to live with it. It's less tail swing than you will see on the typical school bus. If those drooling idiots fine upstanding, background-checked citizens can operate a vehicle with that much back porch, surely you can too

Guest Signtiffic

HEY..... my Grandma was a bus driver. She didn't drool at all and was one of the most well read, intelligent, and upstanding citizen I knew.

Then again..... a lot of her co-workers fit that bill.....

No offense taken.... just have to defend my Nonna's honor.

• Board Patron

I didn't order a school bus, prefer to have a truck we can drive in plazas and downtown. Toronto is a busy tight city. We got trailers for longer signs.

63 foot Elliott v60

www.signworksinc.com

www.wehangsigns.com

Signworks Inc.
Toronto, Canada
416-653-7227
1-877-912-7446

• Board Patron

they are working on fixing it, so i am happy

63 foot Elliott v60

www.signworksinc.com

www.wehangsigns.com

Signworks Inc.
Toronto, Canada
416-653-7227
1-877-912-7446

• Board Patron

I too think a low pro was the wrong choice for a chassis. Nice for a rollback car carrier but wrong for a crane. I have seen some skylift trucks and the looked pretty nice. just my opinion

Installation & Maintenance Services

Brian Phillips | expresssignandneon@sbcglobal.net | P. 812-882-3278

Express Sign & Neon | 119 S. 15th Street - Vincennes - IN 47591

express%20neon%20sig.jpg