ELECTRIC SIGN SUPPLIES
If You're Looking For Premium Electric Sign Industry Components From Trim Cap, LED's, Neon Supplies, Power Supplies, Pattern Paper.  Then Please Visit Our Online Store or Feel Free To Call Us For Inquiries or Placing an Order!!
Buy Now

SIGN INSTALLER MAP
Looking for a fellow Sign Syndicate Company Member For A Sign Install or Maintenance Call?
Click Here

For Sign Company's Who Work As Subcontractors
Before You Work For A National Sign & Service Company You Need To Look At The Reviews Of These Companies Before You Work For Them. Learn When To Expect Payment From Them and What It's Like To Work For Them, The Good, The Bad, The Ugly. Learn and Share Your Experiences Yourself For Others

Click Here

We are now OSHA Certified Crane Operators!

Brian

• Board Patron

We bit the bullet and went ahead and took the classes and the tests. It is good to know we don't have to worry about that anymore.

Installation & Maintenance Services

Brian Phillips | expresssignandneon@sbcglobal.net | P. 812-882-3278

Express Sign & Neon | 119 S. 15th Street - Vincennes - IN 47591

express%20neon%20sig.jpg

• !llumenati

That's it? No comments about how the test was administered, what was covered, who you went thru, etc, etc. Or what your score was ? Or were you waiting for someone to ask?

gn

• Board Patron

Didn't know what you guys wanted to know. We went through the ISA program. What was covered.... a lot in 4 days. We covered many things that I do not think apply to us but that is how the test is set up. We both scored in the 90's

express%20neon%20sig.jpg

• !llumenati

Great for both of you! Now you know you're in safe hands when Lori is piloting the crane! I think you might very well be the "first" to get the crane certs - or at least the first to have admitted that you have them.

gn

• Board Patron

Thanks! I have a feeling insurance companies and the nationals are going to start requiring certified crane operators way before the 2014 date.

express%20neon%20sig.jpg

• Board Patron

Signal qualified? I don't know what you are referring to. sorry

express%20neon%20sig.jpg

• Board Patron

So are you a BETTER sign installer now? :crazy:

No just have more expences!!! LOL

• Like 1

express%20neon%20sig.jpg

• Board Patron

ok there has been a lot of discussion about Signal person and rigger certification. Here is the down low. A QUALIFIED signal person is required for all lifts. They can be qualified by a third party OR by an employers qualified evaluator per OSHA 1926.1401 which states:

"A person employed by the signal person's employer who has demonstrated that he/she is competent in accurately assessing whether individuals meet the Qualification Requirements in this subpart for a signal person."

Riggers do not require qualification by a third party, but the employer must ensure the rigger is a QUALIFIED PERSON, as defined in OSHA 1926.1401 as follows:

"A person who, by possession of a recognized degree, certificate, or professional standing, or who by extensive knowledge, training and experience, successfully demonstrated the ability to solve/resolve problems relating to the subject matter, the work, or the project."

I hope this clears up the rumors that riggers and signal person have to be certified.

express%20neon%20sig.jpg

• Board Patron

Signal qualified, and rigging qualified are also components of the new regs. Previously discussed in another thread --

gn

Gary, you do not get Signal qualified or Rigger qualified in this training or exams. Your employer is alowed to do that per OSHA regs. Spending money sending employees to get third party certified for signal or rigger is a waste of money.

express%20neon%20sig.jpg

So are you a BETTER sign installer now? :crazy:

No just have more expences!!! LOL

Now you should be more, "expensive", haha

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. - Winston Churchill

• !llumenati

Nothing was said about "certified". Qualified. Nor did I say it was a prt of the class - just that its a part of the new regulations. And as I said - this was all discussed in a previous thread. Yes?

And in speaking with our insurance carrier - the gray area in that "owner approved" qualified person - could be a biggie. Our insurance company, along with many others, will actually have a person, free of charge, that will do a class and verify that the riggers and signal people are "qualified".

• Board Patron

Nothing was said about "certified". Qualified. Nor did I say it was a prt of the class - just that its a part of the new regulations. And as I said - this was all discussed in a previous thread. Yes?

And in speaking with our insurance carrier - the gray area in that "owner approved" qualified person - could be a biggie. Our insurance company, along with many others, will actually have a person, free of charge, that will do a class and verify that the riggers and signal people are "qualified".

Well Gary I'm sure you are more versed on this subject than me. You have been throught the classes right? I am speaking of the OSHA rules not anything your insurance co. needs or wants, that is between you and them. If they meet the requirements to be a third party qualifier then great for them. What are you waiting on get them over there!!!

Edited by chubbygumby

express%20neon%20sig.jpg

• Board Patron

Actually we are going to raise our crane rate a little to make up for the cost of getting certified and the ongoing bs

express%20neon%20sig.jpg

Actually we are going to raise our crane rate a little to make up for the cost of getting certified and the ongoing bs

Hahaha, gotta love government interaction with the private industry.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. - Winston Churchill

• Board Patron

Hahaha, gotta love government interaction with the private industry.

Yea!!! A bunch of us in the class were discussing that if you did all the paperwork, inspections, check lists and such each day that OSHA suggests you would not have time to do anything else.

Edited by chubbygumby

express%20neon%20sig.jpg

• Board Patron

We took the telescopic fixed cab. We didn't take the swing cab exam.

Edited by chubbygumby

express%20neon%20sig.jpg

• !llumenati

Well Gary I'm sure you are more versed on this subject than me. You have been throught the classes right? I am speaking of the OSHA rules not anything your insurance co. needs or wants, that is between you and them. If they meet the requirements to be a third party qualifier then great for them. What are you waiting on get them over there!!!

Brian you are so funny sometimes. I'm not tryingto fight with you,nor argue with you. You also know damn good and well why I don't and won't take a crane test- and you can feel free to tell everyone else if you'd like. I'm just passing on info - and its not my insurance companies issues - these are OSHA issues about the qualifications. The insurance company just advised that many major insurance companies OFFER this third party "qualification" for these other areas that ARE covered by OSHA rules, but are NOT covered in the damn class. They also explained that "gray" area that could arisse if a company has an issue and that "qualified" party that was "allowed" to do the qualifying is NOT actually qualified. That's all - just passing along information - just like I do with you sometimes when its something you WANT to know about. And this qualified signaler and rigger thing - it has come up in Chicago.

gn

• Board Patron

Gary, as far as you and the crane test I have no idea what you are talking about so I guess I won't tell anyone WTF? We are talking about OSHA rules here and what is required by OSHA to be in compliance. If your insurance company is giving free classes (which I doubt any insurance co will do anything for free) then that is great, YOUR problem solved. A lot of sign guys on here though are interested in how to comply with the new OSHA crane regulations without spending anymore money on training/certification/qualification than they have to. The FACT is, that per OSHA you are NOT required to have a third party qualify your signal person and rigger. The OSHA rules are very clear (not grey) on that. OSHA.gov is very easy to navagate. I suggest that anyone that is thinking of taking the crane exams take the time to read through the OSHA rules and sign up for the ISA classes. There are questions on the tests dealing with signal and rigger qualifications and if you answer different than the OSHA rules you WILL miss those questions. The exams are based on OSHA and ANSI rules NOT what some insurance guy says. If you guys have any questions I will help all I can

express%20neon%20sig.jpg

• !llumenati

Let me clarify and then I'll finish with this subject. I did not say that it was an OSHA regulation that a 3rd party be used. It is a part of the new regulations that the signal person and rigging person be "qualified". You have stated the same thing, somewhere in your ramblings. What I said - was that allowing a boss, or in your instance yourself, to decide who is qualified to teach, or qualify a new person in your job is the gray area. Think of it another way - who decides if a particular person is "qualified" to install a sign? We have alot of those in the industry - and they aren't qualified. But when shit happens - and OSHA gets involved - and they will - records and "teachers" are of paramount importance. And as I said - our insurance company, along with others, have it in their best interest to afford this training. Ours will do it for "free" --- sure somewhere along the lines they get paid, somewhere. Their person is credentialed, and our insurance company would stand behind any issue that comes with that. That's what I said in the beginning, and again. If you do not agree - feel free. My compliments on passing your test - we, as a company, know what goes with that. We also understnad having numerous installers that have to pass that test. We also understand what happens when that "shit hits the fan". You can feel free to WTF me anytime you want - doesn't change what I said. No - you're right - I'm not an expert on this, nor anything for that matter, and because of that I refrain from telling you what you have to do - you're a big boy now. As I also said - all of these issues are becoming a bigger issue here in Chicago. I know that you don't really care about Chicago - but when construction firms, and NATIONAL accounts start talking and asking about these new OSHA regulations and qualifications for rigging and signaling -- well, its not just a GN thing. I surely didn't put the bug in their damn ears.

So, I'd suggest that possibly you just hit the delete button and ignore my ramblings. Perfectly okay.

If anyone else has anything to add about these OSHA rules - please feel free to jump in here.

gn

• Board Patron

yes jersey sign you are correct.

express%20neon%20sig.jpg